Skip to main content

Step by Step Video of Whole Chicken & Mashed Potatoes

For dinner tonight we made a Whole chicken in the 8qt Instant pot and mashed potatoes in the 6qt Instant Pot.



I also just picked up these other Instant pot items that are on Sale on Amazon I've had my eye on such as the vortex ranging from 50-58% off depending on size!  I also grabbed the Ace plus blender at 40% off.
The duo nova is currently 30% off, the duo Evo (sous vide model) is 17% off and the Aura Pro is
33-38% off depending on size!


Whole chicken Ingredients:
-Whole chicken
-One Lemon
-2-4 cloves of garlic (to your liking)
-1/2 an onion
-Mix together (seasoning mix):
      -1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
      -1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
      -1/8 teaspoon pepper
      I also add some Weber's Beer can chicken seasoning
-3/4 cup of red cooking wine
-1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth
-2 tablespoons olive oil in the instant pot
-4-6 tablesoons in a separate container
-4-6 Toothpicks (optional)
-Optional: cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil to broil chicken

Putting it all together: 
1. Stuff the inside of the chicken with 1-3 lemon slices, 1/2 the chopped garlic, all the chopped onion and a few pinches of the seasoning mix
2. I used several toothpicks to hold the end of the chicken closed while I brown it
3. Rub the outside of the chicken with the 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil
4. Rub the outside of the chicken with the seasoning mix
5. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the instant pot and hit the saute feature (lid off)
6. Place the chicken in the instant pot and brown on both sides for 3-5 minutes each side
7. Remove chicken and set aside
8. Pour in chicken broth and red wine (can leave some red wine set aside to pour over the chicken before sealing the lid), allow it to heat up and deglaze the bottom of the instant pot pan
9. Put chicken back in instant pot (I put mine on a Beer can chicken holder and then in the instant pot)
10. Close the lid, set the vent to sealing, hit manual (or pressure on newer models) and set for 25 minutes
11. Allow to NPR (natural pressure release) for 5-10 minutes and release the vent with ANYTHING but your hands!
12. **optional** Move chicken to a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil on high for 2-5 minutes (I like that crunchy chicken skin!)
13. While chicken is broiling, if you want to make gravy you can do so right in the instant pot!  I strained out the onions very quickly, mixed some flour and cold water in a shakeable container and turned the IP back on saute.  Once it started boiling I added the flour and water mix and POOF, gravy!

Here is a video for all of you visual learners!



Click here for Mashed Potatoes!

Popular Instant Pot Accessories:

If you need some Instant Pot accessories this list might interest you, as I often get asked "what accessories do you recommend", so I'll list a few of my favorites below.

-Tempered lid for  (perfect for making yogurt!)
-Silicone lid If you ever plan on making yogurt (and I guarantee you at some point you likely will!) you NEED this for when you put your pot in the fridge to sit for 8-12 hours. 
-Extra Sealing rings for  I use the Red for spicy/heavy spiced foods like a roast, the chili lime chicken and such.  I use the white for things like egg bites, and the red for sweeter/more savory foods.
-Stainless Steel inner cooking pot  Initially I balked at the idea of "needing" two of these.  But then one day when I was making potatoes, veggies and cooking my meat, I realized how much faster I could have gotten it all done if I could have had the veggies all ready to go in the pot the minute the meat was done (meat was too large to do pot in pot).  Instead I had transfer the meat, soak the pot for a few minutes, wash it, dry it, and THEN I could get on with my cooking.  Yeah, this is a 'first world problems' thing, but if you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend 2 pots.
-Stackable Steamer Pans This is what I use for the pot in pot to cook meat and veggies, or meat and potatoes together.
-Egg Steamer Rack  I use this for making hard boiled eggs, as well as to stack the silicone trays for when I make Egg bites.
-Beer can chicken holder  I cooked a whole chicken in my Instant Pot without this.  Then I went and purchased it.  Enough said!
-Instant Pot travel bag I absolute love this bag and have a review with photos on it here.
-Egg Bite Molds Make the PERFECT egg bites with these!
-Springform pan Think CHEESECAKE!
-Instant Pot Mini Mitts These are great for gripping the inner pot, especially when you've got a REALLY FULL pot!
-Instant Pot steamer set  perfect for washing and steaming!
-Pressure Cooker cover If you have an Instant Pot that "lives" on the counter, check out this cute little cover up!
-Silicone baking cups I use these for making EXTRA LARGE egg bites (for the baby, obviously- have you seen him!!!! 😆
-Barkeepers friend  I know, I know, this one might throw you off a bit, but I PROMISE me you will be so thankful you have this on hand for the time you have some baked on food on the bottom of your inner pot!
-Ramekins are great for single serve desserts and mini cassaroles!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Egg Bites!

These are my FAVORITE Egg Bite  molds and they are quite useful and make many delicious things in my instant pot!!  I have utilized these to make egg bites, and mini brownies (I have serious lack of self control when it comes to sweets, so these molds are PERFECT!!!).  These molds fit in both the 6qt and the 8qt .  8qt instant pot 6qt instant pot Egg bites CAN be frozen and re-heated!   I usually make 4 molds worth of egg bites and freeze 2 of the 4.  If I remember (ha!!!) I try and pull them out the night before to defrost a bit in the fridge.  If I don't, 2-3 minutes on defrost is all I need to warm them up.  If they are completely defrosted, I usually do 45 seconds in the microwave. HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE DELICIOUS EGG BITES YOU ASK?? Ingredients:  12 eggs beaten 1 package bacon, cut and cooked on stove Green onion Shredded Cheese Directions: 1. Add 1-2 cups of water to your Instant pot 2. Fill molds first with a sprinkle of shredded chee

BABY PROOFING- Don’t forget the furniture!

  BABYPROOFING We hear about baby proofing all the time, and when we talk about it most people's minds go to the most common items such as oven doors ,  outlets , Stove handles , cabinets , doors and even toilets .   Unfortunately, a commonly overlooked babyproofing item is furniture…YES, furniture! I am a facts and data kind of person, so I want to discuss the statistics first to help illustrate why this is such an important step in babyproofing. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) February 2022 Tip-Over Injuries report, there were an annual average of 22,500 emergency department treated injuries between 2018-2022, and 581 fatalities between 2000 and 2020.   Of those 22,500 injuries 10,000 were from children under 18 years old and of the 581 fatalities 472 were children under 18.   A few tools and a safety strap under $8 can save your child’s life. ( 2020 Tip-Over Report (cpsc.gov) ) Back in 2009 I had a close encounter with what could have been a t

Instant Pot Mac & Cheese (Video Included!!!)

I've decided I'm going to try and video at least one meal a week made with the Instant Pot , and post it here on the blog. Why?  Because I think this wonderful ol pot can be really intimating the first few times you use it. Mine sat in the box for 6 months. SIX. MONTHS.  So, no judgment here about that.  I only took it out because my friend Karisa came over and cooked with me- taught me the ins and outs.  After that, Once I got the hang of it, I was using it 2-4 times a week and went on to buy an 8qt instant pot (started with the 6qt).  It's really nice to have both, one because we're a family of 7.  But also because I can complete an entire meal (meat, veggies, potatoes of some sort) at one time and it's all done and ready to serve at once. This recipe I used is from the Instant Pot App (which is FREE by the way!!!) One thing I'm going to do differently next time is use the saute feature to melt the butter, then add the chicken broth and the noodles to