Skip to main content

Parenting stuff...



I had a good friend ask me to write a blog about parenting, dealing with toddlers, addressing some typical age appropriate behavior struggles, what we do for discipline with our younger kids and the typical struggles that ALLLLLLLLLLLL parents experience at various points in this parenting gig.  First, I have to say that I’m honored that someone would be so kind, and to think “so much” of my parenting, to ask these things of me.  I’m blown away and I’m feeling ALL. THE. FEELS. about it!!!!

So, I’ve pondered this, and spent time trying to brainstorm on this topic, and the more I do that, the more I realize – I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHAT I’M DOING.  Honestly, a lot of what I do as a parent with respect to discipline and teaching my kids is mostly trial and error.  There are some basic things that I can spell out, which I follow.   But honest to god, there’s a lot of “well, that didn’t fucking work” running through my mind.   Also, I read this book a few years back when I was having some struggles with the Triplets, and I think it's time to whip it out again!  The New Strong Willed Child, By Dr. James. Dobson

I will also say this… with respect to my older kids, I’m often told they are very well behaved in public. While this is an awesome compliment and holds true often, please understand that they save almost ALL THEIR BAD BEHAVIOR for home.  I promise you that the angelic behavior you see at the restaurant on a Tuesday afternoon, or at the park on a Friday morning, is NOT always our reality.  I feel very lucky that they save their melt downs, and break downs, and questionable behavior and attitudes for the home- it’s clearly where they feel the safest to let it all go.  But please KNOW, that they aren’t always as well behaved as they appear!

1   1. Instruct and Redirect
This means, when I tell my toddler “no, we don’t play with XYZ” I don’t just leave it at that.  I give the instruction, but then I immediately redirect with “but you can play with this toy” or “but let’s find you a toy you can have” or something similar depending on the situation and location at the time.

2  2. Timeouts last as long as their age
This one is pretty simple- if you’re 2, you’re in timeout for 2 minutes.  We have a set timeout location at our home, at my parents’ home, and other places we frequent.  At this age (Makoa being 2.5) we do not use the bedroom or the bed as a punishment, because we do not want negative connotations associated with sleep time.  That being said, sometimes we DO ask if he’s tired and WANTS to go to sleep.  But in our home, we do not do “you’re going to your room” or “you’re going to bed” as a full on punishment.
              
3  3. We require apologies
An apology can be an “I’m sorry” or it can be in the form of a hug at this age.  This works for us, and Makoa is capable of doing both. 

4 4. We pick our battles
Decide some behaviors that are really important to you, set your limits and most importantly- follow through. 

5  5. Follow through and making sure the punishment fits the “crime”
I had this horrific parenting experience with the Triplets when they were little (horrifically devastating for me, I might clarify).  They were all acting out, and I made the “threat” that if they did it one more time, they were going to bed without dinner.  Now, they we’re about 5, so it’s not like I was withholding food from a very young child.  They were old enough to comprehend that actions DO have consequences and mom DOES mean business.  That being said, they were tired and had an unusually rough day with some schedule changes that were out of the norm AND, my punishment was much more severe than it needed to be.  Unfortunately, they did what I explicitly told them not to, and I felt my only option was to follow through with my threat.  I feel very strongly that you don’t follow through, your kids come to learn that your words hold no meaning.  They know they can get away with it because mom or dad won’t actually do what they threatened. But there were 4 people crying in bed that night in our house.  Them, because they were being punished (that’s to be expected of punishments sometimes- there WILL be tears) and ME, because I knew the punishment I gave, didn’t fit the crime. 
 
That was a really big lesson for me as a parent.  It was a humbling experience for me, and a good reminder to always remember to be aware of the punishments I’m stating, because I believe 100% in following through. 

Again, I’m no parenting expert.  I have no degrees in this area.  A large majority of what I do with my 5 kids has been following these 5 things I wrote here, and trial and error.  What works for my daughter, does NOT work for my older boys.  What works for Makoa, does NOT work for Kaleo.  Every kid is so very different (which was pretty shocking to me with my identical twin boys) and sometimes you have to test a few things out before you find what really works for your kid, and your family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Egg Bites!

These are my FAVORITE Egg Bite  molds and they are quite useful and make many delicious things in my instant pot!!  I have utilized these to make egg bites, and mini brownies (I have serious lack of self control when it comes to sweets, so these molds are PERFECT!!!).  These molds fit in both the 6qt and the 8qt .  8qt instant pot 6qt instant pot Egg bites CAN be frozen and re-heated!   I usually make 4 molds worth of egg bites and freeze 2 of the 4.  If I remember (ha!!!) I try and pull them out the night before to defrost a bit in the fridge.  If I don't, 2-3 minutes on defrost is all I need to warm them up.  If they are completely defrosted, I usually do 45 seconds in the microwave. HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE DELICIOUS EGG BITES YOU ASK?? Ingredients:  12 eggs beaten 1 package bacon, cut and cooked on stove Green onion Shredded Cheese Directions: 1. Add 1-2 cups of water to your Instant pot 2. Fill molds first with a sprinkle of shredded chee

BABY PROOFING- Don’t forget the furniture!

  BABYPROOFING We hear about baby proofing all the time, and when we talk about it most people's minds go to the most common items such as oven doors ,  outlets , Stove handles , cabinets , doors and even toilets .   Unfortunately, a commonly overlooked babyproofing item is furniture…YES, furniture! I am a facts and data kind of person, so I want to discuss the statistics first to help illustrate why this is such an important step in babyproofing. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) February 2022 Tip-Over Injuries report, there were an annual average of 22,500 emergency department treated injuries between 2018-2022, and 581 fatalities between 2000 and 2020.   Of those 22,500 injuries 10,000 were from children under 18 years old and of the 581 fatalities 472 were children under 18.   A few tools and a safety strap under $8 can save your child’s life. ( 2020 Tip-Over Report (cpsc.gov) ) Back in 2009 I had a close encounter with what could have been a t

Instant Pot Mac & Cheese (Video Included!!!)

I've decided I'm going to try and video at least one meal a week made with the Instant Pot , and post it here on the blog. Why?  Because I think this wonderful ol pot can be really intimating the first few times you use it. Mine sat in the box for 6 months. SIX. MONTHS.  So, no judgment here about that.  I only took it out because my friend Karisa came over and cooked with me- taught me the ins and outs.  After that, Once I got the hang of it, I was using it 2-4 times a week and went on to buy an 8qt instant pot (started with the 6qt).  It's really nice to have both, one because we're a family of 7.  But also because I can complete an entire meal (meat, veggies, potatoes of some sort) at one time and it's all done and ready to serve at once. This recipe I used is from the Instant Pot App (which is FREE by the way!!!) One thing I'm going to do differently next time is use the saute feature to melt the butter, then add the chicken broth and the noodles to