Skip to main content

**Cooking with Kaleo** Pot Roast in the Instant Pot (Video included!!!)

I meant to get this video up yesterday, but kids have this incredible way of thwarting your best laid plans.  So, it gets posted today.  On Turkey day.  Which isn't exactly fitting- but that's real life for ya folks.   That being said, many people are cooking their turkeys in the Instant Pot this year- although I'm not (sorry folks).

If you're already an instant Pot owner, check out these BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!  And if you don't own one yet, now's the PERFECT time to purchase.  Keep checking back on the Black Friday Link as Amazon adds more products!

Kaleo was bright eyed and bushy tailed, with a full on NAP REFUSAL the moment I started to set out my ingredients for this cooking project.  So, today's video features Kaleo- that's right, we'll be cooking with Kaleo.  Maybe he'll become a famous chef someday (or morph into a steamroller that just plows into and rolls over everything!)  Either way, both the 2 littlest kids end up in this video.  I thought about apologizing for that, but then I realized I think people NEED to see that real life is full of interruptions, crying children, and other distractions that require our attention.  Especially those of us who are parents.

That's one of the reasons why I love this pot so much.  At first I thought... "well, this thing doesn't really save me THAT much time if it takes 20 minutes to come to pressure and then 90 minutes to cook a roast" but then I gave it a whirl and realized this is ideal for busy family life because it's a "set it and forget it" type of thing.  I don't have to check on my roast, I don't have to make sure it isn't drying out.  I don't have to make sure I remember to uncover it at a certain cooking point.  I don't have to think about the darn thing until it beeps that it's completely done.  Which gives me the ability to tend to babies and toddlers and children, that never ending laundry, prepping the school lunches, helping someone with homework, the inevitable need to discipline someone for something.  And I don't have to worry about screwing up dinner with being inattentive to it.

This is a recipe my friend Karisa shared with me, just verbally.  Nothing written and therefore I've got nothing to link you to here.  But, I will provide an ingredients list and instructions of the steps I took in the video!



INGREDIENTS:
-Beef Chuck Pot Roast (mine is 4.5lbs)
-Seasoning- Black pepper, lawrys seasoned salt, Garlic salt, Onion Powder
-One to Two onions- halved or quartered
-3TBSP olive oil
-Fresh chopped garlic (if desired, I did not use this time)
-Red and yellow potatoes, Halved (4-5 of each depending on size)
-2-3 cups of small carrots
-2 cups beef broth
-Recipe Secrets Onion and Beefy onion soup and dip mix

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut pot roast into smaller chunks (makes browning easier)
2. Season to your liking with above recommended seasonings (or any you prefer)
3. Add 3TBSP oil to the instant pot, and hit the Saute feature.  Wait 4-5 minutes for oil to heat
4. Place chunks of meat into instant pot and brown on all sides
5. Remove meat, add 2 cups of beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot
6. Add back the browned meat
7. Add 1 packet each of the Recipe secrets mixes
8. Add the onion to the top 
9. Put the lid on the pot and seal it
10. Set the pot for 90 minutes on high pressure, manual mode (make sure your valve is set to sealing!!!)
11. NPR (Natural pressure release) or QR (quick release).  I use NPR if I'm not adding anything else to the roast.  I usually NPR for 15 minutes.  This time I used QR because I am adding.
12. Add carrots and potatoes (I like to fish most of the onion out, others prefer to leave them)
13. Put the lid on the pot and seal it.  Make sure your valve is set back to sealing!!!
14. Set the pot for 1 minute (YES, ONE minute)
15. Once the pot is done, QR and serve!!!

OTHER INFO YOU MIGHT FIND USEFUL!

Click here for Recommended Accessories: INSTANT POT ACCESSORIES

Instant Pot Step By Step Videos Landing Page: Homemade instruction videos with recipes 

Is Pressure Cooking uncharted territory for you?  Great FYI info here: New to Pressure Cooking





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instant Pot Egg Bites!

These are my FAVORITE Egg Bite  molds and they are quite useful and make many delicious things in my instant pot!!  I have utilized these to make egg bites, and mini brownies (I have serious lack of self control when it comes to sweets, so these molds are PERFECT!!!).  These molds fit in both the 6qt and the 8qt .  8qt instant pot 6qt instant pot Egg bites CAN be frozen and re-heated!   I usually make 4 molds worth of egg bites and freeze 2 of the 4.  If I remember (ha!!!) I try and pull them out the night before to defrost a bit in the fridge.  If I don't, 2-3 minutes on defrost is all I need to warm them up.  If they are completely defrosted, I usually do 45 seconds in the microwave. HOW DO YOU MAKE THESE DELICIOUS EGG BITES YOU ASK?? Ingredients:  12 eggs beaten 1 package bacon, cut and cooked on stove Green onion Shredded Cheese Directions: 1. Add 1-2 cups of water to your Instant pot 2. Fill molds first with a sprinkle of shredded chee

BABY PROOFING- Don’t forget the furniture!

  BABYPROOFING We hear about baby proofing all the time, and when we talk about it most people's minds go to the most common items such as oven doors ,  outlets , Stove handles , cabinets , doors and even toilets .   Unfortunately, a commonly overlooked babyproofing item is furniture…YES, furniture! I am a facts and data kind of person, so I want to discuss the statistics first to help illustrate why this is such an important step in babyproofing. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) February 2022 Tip-Over Injuries report, there were an annual average of 22,500 emergency department treated injuries between 2018-2022, and 581 fatalities between 2000 and 2020.   Of those 22,500 injuries 10,000 were from children under 18 years old and of the 581 fatalities 472 were children under 18.   A few tools and a safety strap under $8 can save your child’s life. ( 2020 Tip-Over Report (cpsc.gov) ) Back in 2009 I had a close encounter with what could have been a t

Instant Pot Mac & Cheese (Video Included!!!)

I've decided I'm going to try and video at least one meal a week made with the Instant Pot , and post it here on the blog. Why?  Because I think this wonderful ol pot can be really intimating the first few times you use it. Mine sat in the box for 6 months. SIX. MONTHS.  So, no judgment here about that.  I only took it out because my friend Karisa came over and cooked with me- taught me the ins and outs.  After that, Once I got the hang of it, I was using it 2-4 times a week and went on to buy an 8qt instant pot (started with the 6qt).  It's really nice to have both, one because we're a family of 7.  But also because I can complete an entire meal (meat, veggies, potatoes of some sort) at one time and it's all done and ready to serve at once. This recipe I used is from the Instant Pot App (which is FREE by the way!!!) One thing I'm going to do differently next time is use the saute feature to melt the butter, then add the chicken broth and the noodles to